The answer you want to hear is “all the time” but unfortunately we all know that isn’t the case. So what are the best times to eat junk food and why? There are two specific times of the day that I’ll allow…occasionally even encourage eating “junk food” and there’s a reason for it. I’m an advocate for eating clean 80% of the time and living life the other 20% of the time. The 20% that you’re more flexible you should try to work around these times of the day:
1. First thing in the morning.
Let me make this clear, nothing feels better than eating a large, well-balanced breakfast consisting of fruit, vegetables, protein and complex carbs. There’s just not. However, first thing in the morning is one of the best times to eat things like pancakes and jelly donuts because your insulin levels are low from 6+ hours of fasting. You may experience a sugar crash but that sugar is less likely to be stored as fat for two reasons. First, because your blood sugar is low from fasting your body is more likely to use that sugar. Second, you have the whole day to burn off that jelly donut. Again, you would get the same blood sugar spiking benefits from eating fruit in the morning.
2. Directly after your workout.
An intense workout will deplete your muscles of glycogen (blood sugar) or at least burn a significant amount of it. Post workout pancakes, Gatorade, donuts, Swedish Fish, and other high-sugar foods make great post-workout meals because they replenish glycogen quickly. This is why it’s common to see bodybuilders posting insanely delicious post-workout meals on Instagram.
People assume dietitians and nutritionists will force them to eat celery sticks and boiled chicken but here’s some insider advice: dietitians teach you how to incorporate your favorite foods into your diet, not exclude them. It comes down to quality of life, balance, variety, and moderation. Learn the 80/20 Diet Rule, practice it, and stay active. Improving your health is really that simple, we just tend to overcomplicate it.
Check out these awesome cheat meals:
Maple Glazed Jelly Pronuts Recipe made with Kodiak Cakes Powercakes Mix
Protein Cookie Cheat Meal in 15 Seconds
The Ultimate Kodiak Cake Pancake Stacks (Recipe)
Strawberry Banana Protein Smoothie (Recipe)
Try these healthy cheat meal alternative!
Nuts n’ More