These exercises are great for sculpting the legs, triceps, booty and core, the most popular problem spots for women. Why is that? Because for most women, this is where your body tends to store fat deposits. Try adding these workouts to your routine to tone those problem spots and add 10-20 minutes of cardio after to melt the fat away.
My Top 10 List of Exercises for Women
- Box/Bench Step UpBox/Bench Step-Ups are one of my favorite ways to target the quads and glutes without any risk to the lower back muscles. Once you get good at these, try holding on to dumbbells for some extra resistance. I typically do 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps. Because it’s a single leg movement, it’s a little too risky to go very heavy (4-6 reps) so keep it body weight-light weight.
- Single Leg Dead LiftSingle Leg Dead Lifts are a great way to strengthen your hamstrings and glutes while also working on your coordination, core and balance. Keeping the weight relatively light, do 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps per leg.
- Lateral Box/Bench Step UpUnlike the instructions in the link above, you don’t need to add a knee-raise at the end unless you want to. Lateral Box Step Ups will place more stress on the glutes and vastis lateralis.
- Goblet SquatTarget your quads, core, shoulders (slightly) and glutes with Goblet Squats. You can do these with a kettle bell, dumbbell, or plate. Try adding 4 sets x 10 reps to your routine.
- Jump Squats Turn up your explosiveness with Jump Squats. Go for time or high reps completing either 30-60 seconds of nonstop jump squats or 20-30 reps. Want to turn it up a notch? Hold on to some light dumbbells or wear ankle weights and do it all over again.
- Stability Ball Hamstring CurlTest your balance while you sculpt your hamstrings with the Stability Ball Hamstring Curl. You’ll also hit your core and glutes with this effective workout. Try adding 3 sets of 10 slow and controlled reps to your routine.
- Rope Triceps Extension The triceps are a common problem spot on many women. Target them with Rope Triceps Extensions, keeping the elbow completely still and squeezing at the end of every contraction. You can try variations like 4 sets x 10 reps, 3 sets x 15 reps, 3 sets x 20 reps, etc. Toy around with them and see what works best for you!
- Leg RaisesFlatten your stomach by adding Leg Raises to your workouts. You can do them laying down or hanging (the more difficult version), 5 sets x 15-20 reps or until failure. Check out these Windmill Leg Raises on my Instagram
- Pistol BridgesAlso called Single Leg Glute Bridges, Pistol Bridges are a fantastic, weight free way to focus on targeting just the glutes. Try 3-4 sets x 12-15 reps, holding each rep for 1-2 seconds and really squeeze the glute at the end of the contraction. Turn up the intensity by placing a 25-45 lb plate on your hips.
- Plank VariationsPlanks are a fundamental, core building exercise. Once you get comfortable doing regular planks for 5 sets x 30 seconds, try changing up the plank. Here’s a list of different planks to try out once you get the basics down:
TRX PlanksStability Ball PlankBosu TRX Plank Variations
Want really creative workouts? Check out my friend and amazing Personal Trainer & Coach Jess Nasuti on Instagram.